No. 11 Baseball Heads To Arizona For 2022 Season Opener
GAME 1: Oregon State (0-0) vs. New Mexico (0-0)
Feb. 18, 2022 • 11:00 a.m. PT • Surprise, Ariz. • Surprise Stadium
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (0-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Tristin Lively (0-0, 0.00)
Oregon State opens the 2022 season Friday when the Beavers take on New Mexico in Surprise, Ariz. First pitch at Surprise Stadium is slated for 11 a.m. PT (12 p.m. in Arizona).
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will not be televised.
The game will be streamed live by FloSports. Visit osubeavers.com and click on the baseball scheduled for a direct link to the game. For subscription information, visit FloSports.TV.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Oregon State finished with a 37-24 record in Mitch Canham‘s second season at the helm of the program. The Beavers, who went 16-14 in Pac-12 play, advanced to the Fort Worth Regional, where OSU played in the title game against Dallas Baptist.
Canham In Year Three
• Mitch Canham opens his third season as the Pat Casey Head Coach.
• Canham is 42-33 over his first 75 games with the Beavers.
• Canham lettered for Oregon State from 2005-07, earning All-America honors in his final year. He also led the Beavers to three consecutive trips to Omaha, helping OSU to National Championships in 2006 and 2007.
Records In 2021
• Oregon State set a pair of records in 2021.
• The Beavers posted a .982 fielding percentage, upping the program’s previous best of .979 set in both 2014 and 2018. That .982 fielding percentage was good for fourth nationally.
• OSU also finished with a program-record 611 strikeouts in 2021, bettering the previous best of 596 in 2018. The Beavers led the Pac-12 in strikeouts.
Hjerpe Named Preseason All-America
• Left-handed pitcher Cooper Hjerpe was named a second-team preseason All-American by Baseball and a third-teamer by Perfect game prior to the season.
• Hjerpe was 3-6 with a 4.21 ERA in 2021. He struck out 98, which ranked fourth in the Pac-12 last season.
• Oregon State is 81-31 all-time on opening days. The Beavers’ 3-2 loss to Kansas State in 2021 marked the Beavers’ first on opening day since a 5-4 loss at Tennessee in 2009.
• The Beavers are opening the season in Surprise for the seventh consecutive season. OSU also opened there in 2004 and 2006.
• OSU returns 2021 First-Team All-Pac-12 selection Will Frisch as well as honorable mention selections Jacob Melton and Garret Forrester.
• Nine of OSU’s 18 matchups versus New Mexico have come since 2015. The Beavers are 7-2 over that stretch.