Beavers Take On UC Irvine In Home Opener
GAME 8: Oregon State (7-0) vs. UC Irvine (5-3)
March 4, 2022 • 5:35 p.m. PT • Corvallis, Ore. • Goss Stadium at Coleman Field
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (2-0, 0.82) vs. RHP Michael Frias (2-0, 5.73)
Oregon State opens its 2022 home slate Friday night when hosting UC Irvine at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. First pitch is slated for 5:35 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will not be televised.
A live video stream, produced by Oregon State, will be available. Visit the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com for a link.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Mitchell Verburg struck out Jerry Huntzinger with the tying run on third base in the top of the ninth to send 12th-ranked Oregon State to a 5-4 win and series sweep of Xavier Saturday. Verburg was able to get Huntzinger swinging on an 0-2 pitch with the tying run at third. Oregon State jumped out early to a 4-0 lead, scoring solo runs in both the first and third innings and two more in the fifth. Jacob Melton and TJ Wheeler both drove in runs in the fifth, while Travis Bazzana drove in the run in the first and Justin Boyd in the run in third. Wade Meckler went 3-for-5 to lead OSU.
Melton, Boyd Through Seven
• Jacob Melton and Justin Boyd have each hit safely in all seven of the Beavers games this season.
• Melton is 15-for-28 with two doubles, two triples, two home runs and 15 runs batted in. He has multiple hits in six games.
• Boyd, meanwhile, is 10-for-26 with three doubles and eight RBI. He is riding an 11-game hit streak dating back to the 2021 season.
• Oregon State’s defense has shined through the first seven games of the season, totaling just three errors.
• The Beavers are among the Pac-12’s leaders with a .987 fielding percentage this season.
• OSU has turned six double plays in its seven games, and opponents are just 1-for-3 in stolen base attempts.
• OSU was 3-for-9 with runners in scoring position in the finale versus Xavier, and as a team this season, is 44-for-101 (.436).
• Opponents are just 14-for-68 (.206).
• Oregon State has out-scored its opponents, 83-21, this season.
• The Beavers have 23 runs in the eighth inning.
• Opponents have scored 10 or their 21 runs this season in the eighth and ninth innings combined.
• Oregon State is looking to go 8-0 for the 11th time in school history.
• The Beavers hit .312 (39-for-125) at UC Irvine last season. OSU collected 17 extra-base hits in the series, including six home runs.
• Friday is OSU’s first night game of 2022.